Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Intercession















Old Testament Intercession

Judges 14: 5-6: "Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him. And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done."

I Samuel 25: 7: "And now I have heard that thou hast shearers: now thy shepherds which were with us, we hurt them not, neither was there ought missing unto them, all the while they were in Carmel."

I Samuel 25: 15-16: "But the men were very good unto us, and we were not hurt, neither missed we any thing, as long as we were conversant with them, when we were in the fields. They were a wall unto us both by night and day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep."

I Samuel 25: 23-26: "And when Abigail saw David, she hasted, and lighted off the ass, and fell before David on her face, and bowed herself to the ground. And fell at his feet, and said, Upon me, my lord, upon me let this iniquity be: and let thine handmaid, I pray thee, speak in thine audience, and hear the words of thine handmaid. Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial, even Nabal: for as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him: but I thine handmaid saw not the young men of my lord, whom thou didst send. Now therefore, my lord, as the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, seeing the LORD hath withholden thee from coming to shed blood, and from avenging thyself with thine own hand, now let thine enemies, and they that seek evil to my lord, be as Nabal."

I Samuel 25: 28: "I pray thee, forgive the trespass of thine handmaid: for the LORD will certainly make my Lord a sure house; because my lord fighteth the battles of the LORD, and evil hath not been found in thee all thy days."

II Kings 1: 9-10: "Then the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty. And he went up to him: and, behold, he sat on the top of an hill. And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down. And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty."

Job 42: 10: "And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends."

New Testament Intercession

Romans 8: 18-19: "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory [glorification, rapture, Holy Fire] which shall be REVEALED IN US. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God."

Romans 8: 26-27: "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but
THE SPIRIT ITSELF MAKETH INTERCESSION FOR US with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

Matthew 3: 11-12: "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: HE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY GHOST, AND WITH FIRE: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but HE WILL BURN UP THE CHAFF WITH UNQUENCHABLE FIRE."

John 17: 9-11: "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."

John 17: 15-16: "I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."

John 17: 20-22: "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one."

Ephesians 6: 18: "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints."

II Thessalonians 1: 7-10: "And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day."

II Thessalonians 2: 8: "And then shall that wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming."

Hebrews 7: 25: "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."

James 5: 16: "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

Revelation 1: 14-16: "His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."

Revelation 19: 12-15: "His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

Revelation 19: 21: "And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh."

__________

"I fear the prayers of John Knox more than all the assembled armies of Europe."

--Mary Queen of Scots


"A man with God is the majority."

--Last words of John Knox


"With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men."

--Samson at Ramath-lehi

__________

"Identification is the key to intercession, and whenever we stop being identified with God, it is by sympathy, not sin."

"Vicarious intercession* means that we deliberately substitute God's interests in others for our natural sympathy with them."

[*Vicarious: "Performed or suffered by one person as a substitute or to the benefit or advantage of another: SUBSTITUTIONARY: ." --Webster's Third New International Dictionary]

"Am I fulfilling the ministry of the interior? There is no snare or any danger of infatuation or pride in intercession, it is a hidden ministry that brings forth fruit whereby the Father is glorified . . .The disciple who abides in Jesus is the will of God, and his apparently free choices are God's fore-ordained decrees. Mysterious? Logically contradictory and absurd? Yes, but a glorious truth to a saint."

"The circumstances of a saint's life are ordained of God. In the life of a saint there is no such thing as chance. God by His providence brings you into circumstances that you cannot understand at all, but the Spirit of God understands. God is bringing you into places and among people and into conditions in order that the intercession of the Spirit in you may take a particular line. Never put your hand in front of the circumstances and say--I am going to be my own providence here, I must watch this, and guard that. All your circumstances are in the hand of God, therefore never think it strange concerning the circumstances you are in. Your part in intercessory prayer is not to enter into the agony of intercession, but to utilize the common-sense circumstances God puts you in, and the common-sense people He puts you amongst by His providence, to bring them before God's throne and give the Spirit in you a chance to intercede for them. In this way God is going to sweep the whole world with His saints.

"Am I making the Holy Spirit's work difficult by being indefinite, or by trying to do His work for Him? I must do the human side of intercession, and the human side is the circumstances I am in and the people I am in contact with. I have to keep my conscious life as a shrine of the Holy Ghost, then as I bring the different ones before God, the Holy Spirit makes intercession for them.

"Your intercessions can never be mine, and my intercessions can never be yours, but the Holy Ghost makes intercession in our particular lives, without which intercession someone will be impoverished."

--Oswald Chambers

Two Emails (Intercession)

4 comments:

  1. The Lord works in ways that are mysterious at times. We may say a word to someone and not know that it will move mountains in their life. A word in due season is always edifying even though we may not know it at the time.

    When we are dead to self, our unconscious actions are surely the Lord's conscious work in our lives. We become the Lord's mouthpiece. We are the jawbone of an ass. Our breath is the Lord's breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered RC Sproul's book "Not a Chance." Nothing happens randomly. Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely positively. Jesus Christ is Lord over creation. The more I die to self the more I see the Lord's hand in every aspect of my life. There is order and meaning in the Kingdom of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete