Friday, October 1, 2010

A Political Memory - 1968

George Romney and Ronald Reagan

Dreams from the LORD 2007-2010
22 September 2010

Back in 1968 when I was eight years old, our family was at my Grandpa [Dan] Shey’s farm in rural Red Oak, Iowa. We were all at the dinner table when Grandpa Shey mentioned that U.S. Senator Gene McCarthy (Democrat, Minnesota) was going to be in Corning for his presidential campaign. We all got into two cars and drove to Corning. I don’t remember much about Senator McCarthy, but I do remember looking at this guy on the roof of this building—he was carrying a rifle (probably Secret Service). I also remember a local TV news crew that was there; I am guessing it was from Omaha.

As far as I know, that was the only time in my life that I have seen a presidential candidate on the campaign trail.

My first recollection of a political convention was the Republican National Convention in 1968. This is probably odd since I came from a long line of Irish Catholic Democrats. The thing I remember most was when the TV showed a close-up of Governor George Romney of Michigan (1963-1969).

The Bullet Proof President
A Large, Daily Newspaper
Dream:  Vice President

No comments:

Post a Comment