Sunday, February 22, 2015

Athy, County Kildare, Ireland

Athy
 
I used my hard-earned money and lived in Ireland from May 1981 to February of 1982.  I wrote a novella while I was living in Athy, County Kildare, Ireland during the summer of 1981.  It took me around seven weeks to write the manuscript.  

The most profound thing that I experienced while I was living in Athy happened in December of 1981.  I had been very suicidal since I was fifteen.  I remember that I had been reading this book and the author used this scripture:  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4: 13)  I sat there and repeated that scripture many times, then I went to bed.

I laid in bed and all I wanted to do was die.  Finally, I went to sleep.  Later that night, the Presence of God became very powerful.  It was very intense light and love--Divine love.  It lasted about an hour and a half.  The intense light/love was so powerful it was painful.  I began to plead for the light to leave because I couldn't bear the pain anymore.

[This is how Blaise Pascal describes his experience]

Since I have become a Christian, that rapture experience has happened to me many times.  You could also describe that experience as "the Holy Ghost fell" or "the Holy Ghost became very heavy":  it is Holy Fire.  I believe that experience in December of 1981 was painful because I was not yet washed in the Blood of Jesus.  In July of 1982, I finally surrendered my life to Jesus Christ.  I still experience the rapturous Presence of God from time to time, but it is not painful.

May 1981:  Northern Ireland and Bob Jamieson of NBC News
Revival in Ireland
Athy Town, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Barge on River Barrow, Athy
Hitchhiking in Ireland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales


Map of County Kildare
White's Castle on the River Barrow, Athy
Duke Street, Athy

No comments:

Post a Comment