Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dubois, Wyoming



I got dropped off here in Dubois, Wyoming earlier this afternoon. I will spend some time here at the library typing some things up and then camp out by the river tonight. God willing, I will head to Riverton tomorrow.

This is a popular saying in Wyoming: "There are two seasons in Wyoming: winter and road construction."

There was some road construction as I walked north out of Jackson this morning. Looks like there will be road construction on U.S. 26 between Moran Junction and Dubois later this month. Without road construction we will be a people no more. Road construction is the basis of a sound economy--transportation of goods and national defense. The Romans built roads all over their empire. At one time, all roads led to Rome. Later, all roads led to London. Now, all roads lead to Dubois, Wyoming.

Road construction is eternal.

_____

Luke 9: 58: "And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

"The Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

Sounds like the Son of man had no certain dwelling place. Reminds me of someone I know very well.

If I have money, I will get a motel room. I made some money working for some friends out west, so a motel room is well within my grasp--till the money runs out.

I have slept in abandoned cars, barns, hay stacks, corn stacks, under bridges, homes under construction, homes under slow deconstruction (abandoned), fields, pastures, city parks and what have you. The Lord helps me find places to sleep: "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof."

I have slept in post offices and in a couple of truck stops. I also have a two-man tent that I use whenever I can. I have stayed in missions and shelters and slept under trees. A hitchhiker has to get his sleep somehow.

I once slept in a pickup near these railroad tracks in a small town in Nebraska. I woke up and walked to U.S. 30 and started thumbing for a ride. A half hour later, some guy walked up to the pickup and drove off with it. I am glad that I didn't sleep in that morning.

I am sure that someday the Lord will let me settle down some place. It doesn't really matter where--I am pretty flexible. It doesn't matter where I lay my head . . . as long as I abide in the powerful Presence of God (Zion).

Zion is my home.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    It's exciting to keep up with your travels and all of your spiritual insights. I don't think there's any coincidence in me finding your blog. :) What got you started hitchhiking? Was there a defining moment?

    I actually do have a private book of poetry that I put together for my father before he died. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

    -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have a copy of your book of poetry, but I don't know where you should send it. I move around a lot. I used to have home bases in Wyoming, Washington, Montana, Kansas and other states; when I find another home base, I will have you send it to me.

    I did some hitchhiking back in 1986-87: I was exploring and searching and I went through some rejection from my family after my faith in Jesus healed me of manic-depression (demonic bondage). I settled down in Ellensburg, Washington for several months, then I hitchhiked back to Ames, Iowa in 1987 where I worked in a lumber yard and later went back to school at Iowa State University. I graduated in 1995 with a BA in English Literature; I applied to three law schools, but I was not accepted--which was fine by me--I was very tired of the liberal academic establishment--I was not meant to be a lawyer.

    I continued to work at the lumber yard till April 1996 when the Lord told me to quit and move one. I began to hitchhike in May of 1996 out of obedience to the Lord. My main work on the road is intercession and I write what the Lord is teaching me. My life of obedience to the Lord is the sermon.

    I walk therefore I am; I hitchhike therefore I am; I write therefore I am; I abide in Christ therefore I am.

    I camped out near the river in some sagebrush last night. I met a wonderful couple from England here at the library in Dubois. We had a very spirited conversation. I told them that Great Britain is the great foreshadowing of the United States.

    I should make it to Riverton later today. Between Jackson and Riverton, Wyoming on U.S. 26 is a very scenic place to hitchhike.

    ReplyDelete